Friday, November 16, 2007

So sad. So sick. So swollen.

Clint helped with an Eagle Scout project up in the Pleasanton Hills a couple of Saturdays ago. Despite his best efforts to not touch any plants, he still ended up with poison oak (as did a few others). For a week, only his right arm was affected. Then, eight days later, he woke up and his face was covered in red bumps.Within a few hours his face looked like this.















And his arm got more swollen and red bands appeared around his forearm. He went to the hospital that afternoon (Sunday) to see if his arm was infected and to find some relief for the burning and itching. Unfortunately, the doctor he saw didn't seem to be as knowledgeable as we would have liked. We had been hearing, from friends and nurses, about a miracle shot that can be given to poison oak victims to clear up the rash and the swelling. We mentioned this to the doctor and he said a few years ago they found the shot didn't help much, so they stopped giving it. He gave Clint a perscription for topical cream and for steriods (we had to tell him the rash was on Clint's face, too. Maybe that should have been our first indication of the doctor's abilities.) Below is a picture of Clint's arm Sunday night. It is 2 inches bigger than his healthy arm.















By Monday night he looked like this. Another trip to the hospital provided that miracle shot that "isn't given anymore" and it proved to do just as others claimed--produce a miracle. Two hours after receiving the shot, his face started going back to normal. He got three other perscriptions for the infection, itching, sleeping issues, etc. Though I haven't seen him since early Monday morning, he reports that his eyes are still red, but his face is normal otherwise. His arm is gross, but feels better. Not so sad. Not so sick. Not so swollen. Phew.














This is how his arm looked after the blood pressure cuff was removed. His elbow was lost in a sea of fluid.



12 comments:

Tanya McKibben said...

This is Joshua,

Poor Clint! I couldn't believe this story when he told me it in Dallas. Those photos really tell the story though. What a tough guy. I thought you were supposed to get blessings for doing service? ha.

It was soo good to see Clint and get caught up at AU. He is such a close friend - Tanya and I really want to get together with you guys. Are you coming down this way for Thanksgiving?

Joshua

ermakaluso said...

That looks painful! Eric is doing allergy testing this week and when he went to get his back read, the doctor told him he has angry back syndrome. I think that Clint has that...and more! By the way, Mari, I tagged you on my blog...

Racheal said...

UM....OUCH!At least you have a good story to tell about it!Joe thinks that it would have been a good halloween costume...Way to magnify your calling!!!

LALALALUUUUUUUKE said...

Nice Clint. Next year you know you don't even need a costume, just get yourself some Poison Oak.

The Allen Fam said...

Is this Mari Turner??? Wow what a small world and how amazing the internet is!!! So glad to see that you are doing well!!!
Becky Allen

The Allen Fam said...

Hey, I need to get your email and phone number so we can catch up. Bryson is 3 and Haylee is 18 months. Your boys are so cute!! How fun is being a Mom?!?! Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Bec

The Allen Fam said...

I need to get you email and phone number so we can catch up!! Your family is so cute, time flies when your having fun!!! Bryson is 3 and Haylee is 18 months.

The Allen Fam said...

Your family is so cute!!! I need your email or phone number!!! Bryson is 3 and Haylee is 18 months!! Time flies when your having fun!! Hope you have a Fantastic Thanksgiving!!

The Allen Fam said...

Your family is so cute!!! I need to get your email or phone number so we can catch up on the last 10 years (wow we are really getting old) My little Bryson is 3 and Haylee is 18 months- time flies when your having fun!!! I hope you have a Fantastic Thanksgiving!!!

Unknown said...

Your family is so cute!!! I need to get your email or phone number so we can catch up on the last 10 years (wow we are really getting old) My little Bryson is 3 and Haylee is 18 months- time flies when your having fun!!! I hope you have a Fantastic Thanksgiving!!!

Marissa said...

Hey mari!! I would love to get a family christmas card from you. Are you coming home for christmas, at all? Here's our address:

510 17th Street
Rupert, ID 83350

Camille said...

That is so sad! Clint is a good sport to let you take pics of it. Nathan is looking at them right now and making me swear that if that ever happens to him I will never ever blog about it....hmm...I didn't promise though....;) too good to pass up.