Saturday, June 21, 2008

Ahhhh. Thanks, Nanna.

Jace is addicted to Blankie. He never took a pacifier well (he'd just chew on it), but he loves to suck on the silky edges of Blankie. He shoves it in as far as it will go and sucks and sucks. Now that he's older, he grabs the blanket corner with his free hand and rubs his face and head with the silkies, too. Ahhh.

We like to teach our kids some sign language to help with early language deficiencies. We discovered early on that Blankie needed a sign. Jace is usually a very happy child, but one day on the way to church, he was whiny and crying. We couldn't figure out what was wrong (he was probably 10 months old). Finally, I looked at my lap and saw Blankie. Oh, this should sooth him, I thought. I picked it up and Jace squealed with delight, then kept grunting while opening and shuting his hands quickly (Jace has done this since he was born. It means he wants something.) I started laughing--all the fussing was him asking for Blankie! He learned the sign VERY soon after.

About 1 1/2 weeks ago, we lost Blankie while walking home from dropping Cam off at school. We had Cam's old blanket that was working for a substitute during washes, but that soon became Blankie number 1. But then washing became a problem since I usually do laundry while Jace is sleeping with Blankie. (Sucked-on blankets require lots of washing.) I tried to buy a replacement Blankie. No good. He wouldn't even hold it. I called Nanna to tell her Jace lost the blanket she gave him. She bought an identical Blankie and today it arrived in the mail.

Jace wasted no time in trying out the identical twin Blankie. Ahhh. Thanks, Nanna. And he started posing for the camera last week. The pictures below are an example of what he does when we say, "Say Cheese."

9 comments:

Blauers said...

What a cutie! I'm glad he has his blankie back;) I love the cheese pictures!

The Wells said...

Austin is my blankie kid. And Kelsey's blankie is Beddy. She has two she looks for when she is tired. Beddies are the best!!

JJ said...

that is way too cute! he's a ham in front of the camera!

Hild Family said...

I'm glad, for your sake and his, that you were able to get a replacement blankie. What a cutie. I love his poses!

kristin said...

Lovin' the 'cheese' pictures. If only I looked that cute doing that face....

Becky said...

Mari-
Aunt Linda bought one of those for Kenna when she was born. We can't go anywhere without it- silly kids.

Kenna said...

Rigdon has a blankie too and also sucks the corners. I wish his had a satin edge because it looks disgusting where he sucks on it despite my attempts to scrub them clean when I wash it!
You're coming on the 5th right? We are blessing MaKendrie on the 6th- come if you can make it and at least try to stop by Kim and Dad's after for dinner! See ya soon!

The Lyman Zoo said...

Hey Beautiful!! I was just Looking at all your pictures and they made me laugh! I would love it if you could get me Val's and Mel's email address so I could email them! Later, Heidi.

Racheal said...

He is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!You are so good at writing...I always laugh when I read your blog!Miss you!