Monday, September 24, 2007

History documented? Check.



When we were in Idaho last month we (and by "we" I mean "I") decided, on a whim, to get our family portrait done. I spent the better part of the pre-photo-shoot night trying to put together a respectible ensamble that wouldn't clash when we all sat down close to each other. I think we (and when I say "we" I mean my two sisters, my mom, and myself--it took that many people) did a decent job, though we did leave early so we could buy Cam a shirt at Walmart before the shoot. Which reminds me of another story...

Right before the shoot, but after buying Cam's shirt, Jace had a messy diaper. I decided changing it would do us all a favor, so I went into the restroom, taking Cam with me so he could change shirts with some manner of privacy. As Cam was wandering around the restroom thinking about changing, I quickly located the changing table and undressed, diapered and redressed Jace. All this and I still had time to hear Cam ask, "Mom, why are there urinals in the girl's bathroom?" At this point I realize I walked with determination into the first restroom I saw. Too bad I didn't see the little man sign as I walked in. And too bad I didn't see the three urinals as I walked to the changing table. And too bad Cam didn't resolve his curiosity sooner. I grabbed Cam and rushed out. Oddly enough, I ended up using the men's restroom for my task; Cam used the women's for his. Well, some good did come from this could-have-been-real-embarassing situation--I could now confirm with a great degree of clarity that there ARE changing tables in the men's restroom at Walmart. This idea pleased my sisters, who frequent Walmart with their husbands and diapered children. Small act of service for the day? Check.



So at the Walmart portrait studio you pay next-to-nothing prices for a package of a million pictures of one pose. This is called your "package picture." This lures you in. After the "package picture" they have to shoot 6 additional poses so they can try and sucker you into buying the more expensive pictures. Well, call us suckers. We decided we'd better buy Cam's since he just turned 6. Then, when my mom picked up the other pictures, the studio showed my mom the "composite pictures" (samples of the ones we didn't buy), and she broke down and bought them all. Said somethin' about them being so darn cute. So here are those darn cute pictures.





































I'd like to thank all those who made these pictures possible: My parents for picking up and shipping; Uncle Jake and Cousin Rachel for supplying pieces of their wardrobe (you read that right--Rachel, our 1-year-old GIRL cousin, lent Jace a shirt. Shh.);Walmart Portrait Studio (even though you closed the studio in Pleasanton); and my family, especially Clint, who patiently re-take and re-take pictures until I'm happy with the results (or at least until I give up on getting a perfect shot).

History documented? Check, check.

3 comments:

Camille said...

Those are great pictures! I love the one with all three of the boys. That's great. Awesome men's bathroom story. Lucky no one came in to use it while you were in there :)

Brooke said...

Hey Mari!!! I just found your blog from Camille's...it's such a small blogging world isn't?? Darling pics of your boys and I really enjoyed reading about your Walmart experience. Anyway, I just wanted to say "Hi"!! Here's my blog: http://holmanfam.blogspot.com/ not interesting at all, but has a few updates since we moved to Utah. Take care! Brooke

ermakaluso said...

So funny about the men's bathroom! Was it clean? Eric always says that men's bathrooms are too dirty to take the girls in...although now his excuse is they are getting too old, which I agree with. Your picture is darling!