Thursday, October 30, 2008

Say 8! Say 8!

Brian Regan is my favorite comedian. He is clean and hilarious. For the last few months I've had his "Emergency Room" joke in my head. It ends with him saying, "Say 8! Say 8!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9m2FLHlEwA Click here for Emergency Rm Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM-HWkbnDfg Click here for Emergency Rm Part 2

For a lot of weeks now, Clint and I have volunteered for the Yes on Prop 8 campaign. A yes vote for Proposition 8 in California would change the consitution to say that only marriage between a man and a woman is valid. This has been a real heated debate as of late. Gay-advocates claim those with moral values should set aside our religion and our beliefs to allow gays a right to marry. Marriage is a sacred institution to create families, so I believe marriage is not a "right" but a privilege. Right now, gays and lesbians can create a civil union, which gives them the rights associated with marriage, but without the title of "marriage." However, that wasn't good enough for some. Four rights-activist justices overturned the previous proposition about traditional marriage (passed in 2000) and said it was unconstitutional. Since then, gay marriage has been legal. We are trying to pass Prop 8 so gay marriage is no longer legal. If it doesn't pass, our teachers will have to give equal teaching time to gay marriage as they do with traditional marriage. Recently, one teacher in San Francisco took her first grade class away from their studies to go on a fieldtrip to see her lesbian marriage performed! The principal called it a "teaching moment." Also, there could come a time when religious insitutions opposed to gay marriage could lose their tax-exempt status (or close their doors!) if they "discriminate" and do not allow gays to be married in their facilities.

Since this moral issue could affect our religious freedom, our prophet President Monson and the other church leaders have encouraged California members to donate their time and money to get Proposition 8 passed. It's been pretty awesome to see passionate members heed this call for action. We've knocked on doors, called registered voters, put bumper stickers on our cars, delivered yard signs, and stood on street corners waving Vote Yes on 8 signs at busy intersections. Unfortunately, the other side has become passionate as well. There have been stories from people in our area of their yards being toilet papered and their signs crumpled up or stolen. A couple of people in our Stake have been hit by rocks and slurpies while sign-waving. This past weekend, Vote No people protested at the Oakland Temple and jumped in front of cars going into the temple parking lot. I know we're being blessed for our obedience, though and we'll continue to go forth with faith through this Halloween/Prop 8 weekend.

I'm considering different energy-efficient ways to get everything done this weekend. I think the key is to multi-task. Maybe when we go to our neighbors' doors tomorrow night, instead of holding out our bags and shouting "Trick or Treat!" we'll hand them a bumper sticker and chant, "Say 8! Say 8!"

Remember to vote this Tuesday and have a "Happy '8' Day!"


BELOW: I got an email with this "Take Courage" image of Samuel the Lamanite holding a Yes on 8 sign. I feel braver imagining I'm like that Book of Mormon prophet. I'm just glad I'm standing on a city street corner, not on a high city wall. And that my enemies (so far) are only throwing profanities and "the finger," not arrows.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Love you guys! Thanks for your example!

JJ said...

dude! that's awesome!

Valerie said...

AWESOME! I love it! My sister and Samuel the Lamanite are on the same plane! Both fighting for and defending righteousness!

kristin said...

Say 8 Tink! (I must admit that I have thought that myself over the last few weeks....hee hee)
Good work!

Marissa said...

that's awesome Mari. I love the lamanite wall.